This is my variation of the frame blending technique first developed by Guerrilla Games for Killzone 2, you can find a link to their publication and other resources at the bottom of the post. The aim is to extend the utility of animated textures by distorting them with motion vectors to procedurally generate the inbetween frames. This comes at a cost of shader complexity and texture memory but the results are worth it, especially for special cinematic moments.
Here’s an example of what you can expect to achieve with the technique described in this tutorial:
› Continue reading
My entry to the Riot art contest hosted by Polycount won the first place in the VFX category! You can watch the final submitted animation above and a compilation of some action shots in the picture below. I received a lot of questions regarding techniques I used so I’m going to do a detailed breakdown in the near future.
Winner announcement page: http://www.polycount.com/riotcontest2014winners
Polycount WIP thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141656
I took some time to work on something a bit different this past week so I tried my hand at pixel art. I used a combination of hand and procedural animation. It wasn’t as easy as it first seemed but I really enjoyed the process. Click to enlarge, I couldn’t fit the full res on the page.
I’ve been working on a new personal project in UE4 which involved making my first realtime character. Obviously inspired by Minions from Despicable Me films, this guy is fully rigged and waiting for animation. I’m currently blocking out the environment and finishing the storyboards, still quite a way to go. The image above is straight from Unreal 4.
Polycount is currently hosting a Riot Games art contest and I’m participating in the VFX category. You can track my progress by clicking on the banner above!
Here’s a couple of electric effects I’ve been experimenting with recently. My goal was to present a really stylised 2D look in a 3D environment ready to be used in games. I’ve animated the electric elements in flash and used that as reference to build a real time effect in Unreal Engine 4 using meshes and sprites.
This is a showcase of some of the fire effects I’ve made recently for practice. I aimed for realism, quite happy with the results. UDK as usual.
Here’s the latest personal project I recently finished. Everything made by myself except the aircraft model which I purchased from Video Copilot. It took me about a month to create in spare time after work and on weekends. Rendered in realtime with UDK and as usual I used 3ds Max for all additional modeling, dynamic simulations and keyframe animation.
Ever since I saw the famous wildfire explosion in the second season of Game of Thrones I wanted to recreate it in some way, working in the games industry it seemed only appropriate I do it in real-time! It took me about a month working in my spare time, evenings and weekends to get it all done. Everything was created inside UDK and rendered in real time. All modelling, textures, shaders, lighting, visual effects and dynamic simulations created by myself.
Since the shot above is pretty short I decided to make a breakdown to better showcase some of the work that went into making this. Soundtrack is Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I (creative commons license)
Edit: I re-uploaded both videos in 1080p!
I’ve been working on a new shader that is really useful for all kinds of fiery effects, best of all it’s pretty cheap in terms of performance. It’s the closest I”ve ever got to making a decent billowing fire type of effect. Above is a little compilation of some of the tests I did while working on this. Map in the background is from Recruits.
Youtube link: Pyro Shader